I grew up eating Orange Chicken that was battered, fried and tossed in a Corn Syrup based sugary sweet sauce. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but when I am craving something sweet, I want it naturally sweet with savory notes. The use of fresh squeezed orange juice, ginger, herbs and sesame balance each other out and because this dish is baked instead of fried, its MUCH healthier! All the flavor and none of the guilt? Yes, please!
Ginger Orange Glazed Chicken
• 3 lbs bone in Chicken Thighs
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1/2 tsp Pepper
• 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme; finely chopped
• 2 Green Onions; chopped
• 5 Large Ripe Oranges; juiced and zested
• 1/2 C Chicken Broth
• 1 tsp Sesame Oil
• 1 Fresh Rosemary; chopped
• 2 Garlic Cloves; finely minced
• 1/4 C Onion; finely minced
• 1 tsp Mustard Powder
• 1 Tbsp Honey
• 1/2 tsp Oregano
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
• 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
• 1/4 C cold water
• 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper then place in baking dish with Rosemary Sprigs.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and heat saucepan over medium heat
2. Add Glaze ingredients, minus Cornstarch and cold water. Heat to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. In small bowl, whisk Cornstarch and cold water until thoroughly combined. Add to sauce and stir until thickened.
4. Pour thickened sauce over chicken and cover with foil. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees. Remove foil and turn oven heat to 400 degrees. Cook chicken an additional 10 minutes.
5. Serve with rice, stir fried vegetables or steamed broccoli!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!