A couple of people have asked me for my Baked Beans recipe and I promised I’d post it. I know that baked beans don’t normally include black beans, but I like their texture and think they make an amazing addition to your typical Baked Beans!
Brown Sugar Bourbon Baked Beans
• 1/2 lb dried Pinto Beans
• 1/2 lb dried Black Beans
• 1/2 lb Bacon; chopped
• 1 large White Onion; finely chopped
• 4 medium Garlic Clove; finely minced
• 2 C Brown Sugar
• 1 C Ketchup
• 1/2 C Bourbon
• 4 Tbsp ground mustard
• 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
• 1 tsp Cayenne
• 2 Thyme Sprigs
• 2 Bay Leaves
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour beans into strainer and rinse, checking for rocks. Place in deep bowl and cover with fresh water. Soak overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F.
3. In Dutch Oven over medium-high heat, add bacon and saute until crispy. Add in onions and saute until tender before adding in garlic; cooking until fragrant.
4. Pour beans and their water to dutch oven along with remaining ingredients; stirring to incorporate. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil then turn off heat.
5. Cover pot and place in oven; baking beans for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until fully tender. Check every hour to stir and make sure there’s enough liquid to cover the beans; adding more water if needed.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, before tasting for your salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar preferences before serving.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!