I know that baked beans don’t normally include black beans, but I like their texture and think they make an amazing addition to your typical Baked Beans! It’s a little time consuming, but you’ll save tons of money over the canned variety. It makes an excellent pot luck or cookout side dish.
Brown Sugar Bourbon Baked Beans
• 1/2 lb dried Pinto Beans
• 1/2 lb dried Black Beans
• 1/2 lb Bacon; chopped
• 1 large White Onion; finely chopped
• 4 medium Garlic Clove; finely minced
• 2 cups Brown Sugar
• 1 cup Ketchup
• 1/2 cup Bourbon
• 4 Tablespoon Ground Mustard
• 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
• 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
• 2 Thyme Sprigs
• 2 Bay Leaves
• Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the beans into a strainer and rinse, checking for rocks. Place in deep bowl and cover with fresh water. Soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a Dutch Oven over medium-high heat, add the bacon and sauté until crispy before adding in the onions. Cook until tender then add in the garlic. Stir in the soaked beans and their water into the dutch oven along with the remaining ingredients. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil then turn off the heat. Cover the pot and bake the beans for 3 hours or until fully tender. Check every hour to stir and make sure there’s enough liquid to cover the beans. Add more water if needed.
- Remove the beans from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season accordingly.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!