I had a couple of chicken breasts that I needed to use up and this is always my go to recipe when I’m craving something sweet and healthy! I normally use ground chicken, turkey or beef but felt like this would be a nice change. It’s great to mix things up from time to time! The peanut butter adds a creaminess that really accents the sweetness and is definitely worth a try!
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
• 4-6 lettuce leaves of your choice; Bib lettuce works best
• 2 large Chicken Breasts; diced
• 2 Tbsp sesame oil
• 1/2 C Carrots; chopped
• 1 small white onion; chopped
• 2 garlic cloves: minced
• 1 medium summer squash; chopped
• 1 small can water chestnuts; diced and divided in half
• 1 Tbsp toasted cashews, peanuts or walnuts; chopped
• 2 Tbsp green onion; diced
• 1 tsp sesame seeds
• 1 Tbsp chunky peanut butter
• 2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
• 1 Tbsp fish sauce
• 1 cup soy sauce
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 teasp chili paste
• 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
• 1 garlic clove; minced
• 1/2 tsp ginger; finely minced
• 1/2 C chicken broth
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
- In dutch oven or large skillet add sesame oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken until no longer pink in the center, then use a slotted spoon to set it aside. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the onion, carrots, ginger, garlic and water chestnuts, cooking until tender. Add chicken back in and cover.
- In sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the sauce ingredients, minus the cornstarch, and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Then, in a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons cold water. Pour the slurry into the sauce and whisk frequently until thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and toss to coat.
- Serve with lettuce leaves, topped with sticky rice if desired, and garnish with Sesame seeds and green onion.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!